Monday, April 10, 2023

Wednesday, 9 November 2022: Hartung


Lloyd died last night. He’d been in the hospital and we knew it was coming but it is still a tough day.
Gloria came over in the middle of the afternoon and said she needed to get away from “those people” for a while. “Those people” are her well-meaning children and grandchildren. I hurried her inside our house and told her to fold the clothes on the bed if she liked but she declined. I invited her to just sit on the couch and collapse but she didn’t want that either. So I settled her on a barstool in the kitchen while I started cooking dinner. I poured myself a glass of wine since she already had a beer half gone. I didn’t want her to have to drink alone. I just let her talk for a while. When her can was empty, she said “I want more.”  I didn’t want the poor dear to be parched so I opened another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment