Monday, April 10, 2023

Wednesday, 23 November 2022: Cotulla to Matahuala









No breakfast at our hotel this morning.  There was promise of waffles, tacos, fruit, yogurt but nothing.  Thankfully we did have coffee.  We were all loaded and rolling before 8am.  First stop McDonald’s. Second stop was to get gas and then we could finally roll.  

At the border in Puente Columbia I learned that I didn’t have a current registration for our car.  Seriously?  Unbelievable!  Simply unbelievable that I have done this again.  The guy tried to work with me… did I have a title?  No.  Did I have a family member who could... no.  OK, I was able to order a copy and have it delivered electronically.  My goodness.  We were finally rolling south... in Mexico!

Not a banner day for me. With the glitch at the border to start and then to face the hotel scramble — Aargh! 

Our favorite hotel in Matehuala was fully booked due to a conference of some sort and since we hadn’t known exactly which day we were leaving we couldn’t book in advance. Add that we are four adults traveling with three dogs, we found ourselves in the Mexican version of a love-hotel last night. Ok, it’s only one night on the road and we are moving on. Actually, it was ok.  It was very convenient to the highway, offered secure parking, and, it was only one night.  Here we go.Justin drove all day while I worked on finding a hotel … all day. Internet service was spotty because of the mountains. The flip side of that was that the scenery was beautiful because of the mountains. The terrain changes so quickly and is so tortured. Since we flew to Celestún last year and we’re not able to come the year before, it’s been a while since we’d done this drive. Are the roads better?  Probably, a bit. Are there more trucks?  Probably. We’re decided we wouldn’t drive anymore but here we are.


No comments:

Post a Comment