Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sunday, 29 January 2017: Coatzacoulas




Since our dinner was so great last night, we headed back to El Almendre for breakfast.  The town seemed very sleepy until we got closer to the waterfront where the fishing village was alive and hopping.  We learned a lot about this working town as we walked through the fish market.  Preparing fresh fish has always intimidated me.  Shrimp I can manage, but if fish doesn't come from the frozen food section in cellophane I am not sure what to do with it.  Here, I could learn! 




When we finally did get back to the restaurant, I had a Spanish immersion language lesson.  I ordered Huevos Chiquilles.  While that was seemingly simple, she asked me how I wanted my eggs prepared and gave me several choices.  I know the words for scrambled and fried, but I learned that Huevos Tiernos was whaat I really need to say since that means "over easy".  Then we went through the choices for toppings... onions, crema or queso ... I wanted all three.  Finally, I wanted tocino on the side... a girl has to have bacon, right?




We bought oranges and bananas at the market before we started our drive to Coatzacoalcos. We didn't make very good time on these smaller roads. The topes and the potholes are many and vicious.  Today we saw truck after truck loaded with sugarcane after harvesting.   At one point when we stopped for gas, I saw three tractors pulling into the service station for fuel too.  As long as I have been around tractors and farms, I don't think I've ever seen a tractor puling into the filling station. 








As we pulled into Coatzacoalas, we were set to see the Cabeza Olmec that was reportedly on the grounds of the local university.  We were surprised to find the grounds locked.  I know that school has changed but even though it is a Sunday, don't students need to go to the library?  Drat.

We drove around town a bit and Justin and Gemma went for a short walk on the  beach in the drizzling rain while I found a hotel online.  We got settled into the Zar Hotel before venturing back out.  Part of our master plan is to look at real estate as we explore. Do we want to come back here and spend three or four months?  We often ask each other "is this the Mexican Evia?"  When we visited Stavros in Evia, Greece,  we knew we could live there for three or four months.  Will we find a place like that in Mexico?

No comments:

Post a Comment