Thursday, February 23, 2017

Monday, 20 February 2017: Merida

Lunch at Taco Arabe. I told Justin he may have found the only doner kabob place in all of Merida.  It was a nice change in flavors.

Our next stop was the Museum of Mayan Culture.  I was heady to learn about how this group of people lived, the tools they used in everyday life, their trade, their housing etc.  I wasn't disappointed.  I was surprised though at the first part of the museum that dealt with the crater that hit the Yucatan peninsula near Chicxulub.  Was this the crater that was the cause of the extinction of dinosaurs?  Fossils found nearby might support this theory.  Equally interesting is the theory of the effect the meteor would have had on the coastline.  I think I need to be a museum curator in my next life.  I continue to be amazed at the displays and opportunities to interact with exhibits and information. 


We had dinner at a great little restaurant near Monumento de la Patria (Monument to the Fatherland).  Unfortunately for us, it was covered with scaffolding during our visit.  It did remind us of the Trevi Fountain in Rome that was also under repair when we visited two years ago with Bill and Diana on Memorial Day.






No comments:

Post a Comment