Thursday, December 27, 2018

Sunday, 25 November 2018: Casa Colibri



Justin and I had talked about having guests chefs as a way to include guests and residents.  Some people have game night; we’d have a cooking celebration.  When Pedro and Aricelia made Pozole it was a beginning but unfortunately I missed most of it.  Today, Jonathan made ceviche and I was there from beginning to second and third bite.  This is the season when the fishermen are out for long days and everyday.  This is pulpo season.  There are a few new motorcycles in town.  We can only hope that these proud riders will be able to keep up the payments.












Yesterday Ivan and his team connected the lights across the front veranda and along the walkway between the gate to the house and at the front door.  The cost was minimal thankfully and the lighting does look great.  We are continuing our hopes to get Don Carlos the plumber over.  A girl can dream.



Within the last few days I’ve had to face several realities about our community.  On Friday when I walked across the street headed to the beach I saw a huge pile of trash.  Unfortunately, trash is a reality and most often I go to the beach with two bags, one large bad for trash and a second, smaller bag for shells.  I come home having done my part.  No, I am not doing my part for the better of the planet or anything quite so altruistic, I pick up the trash simply because I don’t want to look at it.  Well, on Friday, there was a huge pile of trash and wait, there was a giant empty bag of dog food from Sam’s and wait, a wrapper from a yoga mat.  Wait!  That is my trash!  Yes, someone has taken our trash from in front of our house and gone through it looking for what?  Looking for anything of value?  Food? Clothes?  It is so sad.  Abraham joined me and the cleanup task was completed in no time, but my heart just sunk.  


Then, yesterday, as if to kick me when I was down, my shoes and beach cover-up walked away while we were swimming.  We’d ventured down the beach to look at a house that was for sale and we were gone for about an hour and yes, we were totally out of sight.  My cute little teal Crocs and my navy and white striped dress now live with someone else.  This was from right in front of our house unfortunately.  Justin lost a pair of swim goggles last year but that was when we were in front of Peter’s restaurant and there are lots of people around.  Our section of the beach is much more deserted but clearly, not immune to the “stain of poverty.”

Wait, what or who are the dogs barking at?  It was Don Carlos.  Oh, goody!  Justin told him all about the fixtures we had purchased even though we don’t have them yet.  He needs to know that the work is here for him.  Thankfully, today he installed the toilet in our apartment.  He repaired the outlet where the washer had been in our bedroom.  He removed a small sink cabinet that had been in our living room AND, he installed the washing machine in what used to be one of the guest bathrooms.  The guys took down a minimal bit of molding off the door frame installed the washer and tacked it all back up as good as new.  Yes, I have a working washer!  We only had one three prong adapter and Justin got dibs on it to connect the tv or rather the surge protector.  I popped into the car to go to the hardware store to get another but both were closed in the middle of a Sunday afternoon.  I asked both Robbie and Carole if I could borrow a three prong adapter and was just about to go to Robbie’s when Justin found one I could use for now.  

I haven’t had a washer of my own in quite a while.  I could not wait to do laundry.  (How sad is that?). We don’t have a dryer and that’s not really a priority for me right now.  They use too much electricity and we have plenty of sunshine to dry our clothes.



Yes, I have my washer and Justin has a new tv.  It is a 65” Samsung and he got it all hooked up in time for the Packer vs Vikings game. We are going to save the original packing a pack it away when we leave for the summer.  We sure as bananas are not going to put the box out near the street in the trash!  They say that mostly things that are small and easy to carry are the things most often stolen.  Blenders, microwaves and such but I am not going to tempt fate. 
We know we are not immune, but thankfully our dogs are talkative when folks venture to our gate.





No comments:

Post a Comment