Friday, December 28, 2018

Friday, 14 December 2018: Casa Colibri


Alonso called at 8:00am this morning.  Thankfully.  I had tried literally all day for the past two days to get through to him so I was quite pleased when he called.  

There is a whole lot more to this story but for the sake of brevity, suffice it to say -- I messed up with our residency permits.  When you apply to the consulate for either temporary or permanent residency, they are looking for solvency.  We proved that we are financially solvent.  Initially I asked for temporary residency but somewhere in the process it got changed to permanent.  Alonso said he knows that the consulate advises (read: applies pressure) you to go for permanent and I guess I succumbed to that somewhere.  However, I didn’t know that permanent residents are not allowed to have a car with foreign plates.  Yikes!  After a lot of problem solving and talking to our lawyer, a guy that works with immigrations and a car insurance lady, we decided that Justin will go for permanent residency and I will stay as a tourist.  He can keep the bank account the we have for the corporation and I can keep the car.  We talked about making a trip to Belize to take the car in and out but then decided that if anything went wrong we were even farther from home.  So then we thought about make the run for the Texas border.  We’ve already forfeited the $500 deposit we put on importing the car since that was good for only 30 days.  We ended up deciding that I’d fly to the US and come back to Celestun.  We will worry about the car when we go back in April. Our appointment with immigrations for permanent residency is 18 January.  I’ll need to find a flight to the states and be back before that appointment. Goodness!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment