Saturday, July 23, 2016

Nethybridge, Scotland: 9 July 2016
Day 9
When we woke this morning, Justin suggested that we get with it straight away and head to Edinburgh Castle before we got back on the road. 
On our way to the castle we stopped for breakfast.  I had to chuckle when I heard Justin order an "English breakfast" while I ordered a "Scottish breakfast with American coffee.  Perhaps I should have ordered a French croissant as well. 
I am so glad Justin suggested we not miss the castle it was certainly worth the trip.  Claimed to be the most besieged place in Great Britain, there is evidence of civilization atop this rock that can be traced to the 2nd century with buildings on the site since about the 12th century.  Mary Queen of Scotts was imprisoned here for some time before she was beheaded.  
On the road, we saw absolutely awe-inspiring scenery.  Now I understand the idea of the Scottish mists.  Just outside of Perth, I knew that our photos would not come close to capturing these vistas.  Most of our drive was along the Highland Tourist route.  And, I am lucky enough to have a commentary that flits our locale.  Justin puts his theatre background to good use as he adopts the local accent.  He did this in Germany from time to time and more recently, I've been humored by his French rendition as well as his English and now his Scottish brogue.
Our visit to Balmoral Castle was mostly grounds and gardens since it is really still the vacation home for the Queen.  The ballroom is the only room open to the public. 
Rose Garden at Balmoral Castle
We walked the gardens in the rain.  Yep, this was more than just mist.  Gemma looked quite the sight, but it was still pleasant.  We walked through Prince Phillip's kitchen garden as well as down by the river most photographed when the royal family is fishing for salmon.  One of the caretakers explained to me that the red squirrels, for which they have a nanny-cam going on the website, are endangered and protected.  He also explained that the purple flowers we saw were heather-bell and that the real Scottish heather would be in full bloom in four week's time.
 

After the second castle for the day, we headed to Nethybridge for our overnight stop at the Nethybridge Hotel.  This was a very traditionally Scottish experience.  Jack, the bartender at the hotel bar, treated Justin and me to a Scotch tasting experience.  He allowed us to taste at least five or six different, and mostly single malt, varieties.  Justin quite likes the Highland Park that he had purchased previously.  Remarkably, I almost like Balvenie and we both quite liked the 14 year old Oban.  I've never thought of myself as a scotch drinker, but, when in Scotland... Jim is turning over in his grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment