Saturday, July 23, 2016

Motherwell, Scotland: 10 July 2016
Day 10
 
With a start to the day in the Scottish Highlands, we are ending our day just south of Glasgow.  We left our quaint hotel after a hearty Scottish breakfast (eggs, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, but no kippers for me) and headed to Culloden Battle field.  This was a sizeable museum with impressive multi-media displays.  They displayed the government views on the left side of the walls with the Jacobite views on the rights. 
I focused on the doomed Jacobites: over 1000 rebels died in The Rising while only about 300 Hanovarians met the same fate.   "Outlander" has served to heighten my awareness and my curiosity about this part of the world and this time in Scotland (1746).  

Our afternoon route  out of Scotland and back to England on The SOUTH served as a counterpoint to our journey from London to Edinburgh when we travelled on The NORTH. We travelled alongside Loch Ness and Loch Lomand.  I was driving when we spotted a castle a bit off-shore that was very reminiscent of the one used in Outlander.  Not the same one, but worthy of a photo-op nonetheless.  

Jim said for years that I wasn't worthy to go to Scotland.  Well guess what ... I am here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment