Friday, October 4, 2019

Wednesday, 25 September 2019: Port Colborne











This morning we boarded the Chi Cheemaun Ferry at South Baymouth on Manatoulin island to go to Tobermory on the mainland.  We'd crossed on to the island by bridge but took to ferry for our return.  Driving rain started as soon as we boarded.  When we saw white caps just as we were pulling out we knew it was gonna be a rough ride.  Sure enough, I got queasy and that is not common for me.  



The countryside was spectacular.  Lots of farm land and lots of cattle.  We saw oodles of squash and pumpkin.  We saw cherries and apples.  But when we saw peaches, we had to stop.  They were so, so yummy.


We also saw evidence of a thriving Amish community.  We saw any number of people in traditional attire as well as the traditional buggies.  When I saw a girl get out of her van at the gas station and start filling a red gasoline jug, I did think something might be awry.



We chatted with Jake and Leslie yesterday and made plans to visit them in their home in Port Dover.  Like us, they spend winters in Celestun.  Justin has been chatting with Jake since he is interested in buying property Jake owns that is between Casa Colibri and the beach.  I have mixed emotions, but it will be fun to see them no matter.  It is only about an hour and a half out of the way as we progress to Niagara Falls. During the night I had second thoughts about spending the night at Jake and Leslie’s and, thankfully, Justin did too.  Leslie had surgery earlier this summer and they are in the middle of a remodel.  As much as we might serve to provide a break from their work, I think we will find a hotel.  



We had a great visit.  We met Jake and Leslie at his shop that is located at the marina where he is part-owner.  They showed us the 28’ sailboat they want to turn into an air BnB.  Jake took us on a tour of the coastal town and we ended up at their home.  Later we had dinner at the Port Dover Yacht Club.  Justin and I tried perogies, a polish dumpling stuffed with potatoes and cheese topped with bacon and onions and served with sour cream.  I decided I liked the idea of perogies but I’d like them better if stuffed with Wisconsin cheese.



Somewhere during the evening I learned that like Carol, Jake and Leslie knew Justin was planning this honeymoon trip.  I wonder if everyone in Celestun knew except me?

After dinner, we bid our friends farewell and drove to Port Colborne for the night.  It was almost midnight when we arrived but we are so much closer to Niagara Falls!








No comments:

Post a Comment