Monday, March 13, 2017

Saturday, 25 February 2017: Celestun

Our last day in Celestun -- ok, for this trip.  I know we will come back here.
Justin went for a swim and we met downstairs at breakfast.  After easing into the day, Justin headed off to chase down Geraldo; I had a mani/pedi appointment at noon.

When I got back I went out on the deck to soak up some sunshine and read my book. Justin met me there later with a few beers under his belt and plenty of stories.  Seems Geraldo came to the US from Cuba in a row boat when he was in his early twenties.  The 23' row boat had 12 people in it and it took them 8 days.  They had no food.  They attached four barrels partly full of fresh water, two on each side for balance and stability in rough seas. When a barrel was empty they refilled with sea water.  Of course that meant they had to row those four barrels too.  Geraldo plans to go to the Phillipines in July.  He has a son there who served 28 years in the American Navy.  He says if he likes it, he just might stay there.

Justin and Geraldo drive up and down the town in Geraldo's big ol' Dodge Ram pickup truck looking at property.  Justin got all th scoop on how some of the houses were not hurt in th right spot and now the property lines are in dispute.  He got the skinny on several of the locals. And yes, he even came home with Brians's phone number in New Orleans.  We can call him later to see about his property that is for sale.  Maybe...

I had my own story to share when I got back too.  I had just had perhaps the best manicure and pedicure I'd ever had!  For one, she let my feet soak in the warm sudsy water the entire time she worked on my hands.  It is a simple concept, oh, so nice, but it often doesn't work that way.  I pushed my luck and asked her as she finished if she had time to cut my hair too and she did.  So that was my extravagant afternoon of pampering.  The charge was 170 pesos.  With tip that was $10!  I am still shaking my head!

We learned from Peter this morning that a typical daily wage for Mexican workers is 80 pesos.  He pays his kitchen staff 200pesos and they can eat what they want.  He gave us other insights into the life of locals.  Later in the afternoon when we were at Los Pampanos and a little girl took Justin's phone, it was heartbreaking.

Tonight was Carnival celebration in Celestun.  Justin and I headed downtown to see the parade.  I was not reminded of Mardi Gras in New Orleans at any time.  There was precious little sleep for anyone.









No comments:

Post a Comment