Sunday, January 23, 2022

Tuesday, 18 January 2022: Casa Colibri


We learned last week that Jordan and Erich aren’t coming.  They've just got too much going on nd the flights don't seem to be working out for them.  Justin and I are bummed; ok,, I am bummer, Justin is totally bummed.  Then, yesterday heard from Rick and Brenda that it is likely they will not gone.  Well... thankfully, Cousin Mike and his daughter will visit and Bill Dean will visit.  YEA!

We booked our flights and hotel for Mexico City!!!  Bill Dean will come here for a short week then we will all go to Mexico City together.  We couldn't ask for a better tour guide.  

While I was in the throws of booking flights and hotels I thought I’d address our return flight in March. I was on the phone for 21 minutes before I got disconnected. Called back; 31 minutes and disconnected again. Third time is a charm right. This time it was Jesus (no irony there), one hour and 11 minutes and our return flight was booked.  Sure, we already had a flight but Aeromexico had notified us two months ago that the times and dates had been changed as an overnight in Mexico City was required.  I didn't do anything about it at the time since I knew it would change again.  Today was the day and now we are booked with all travel on the same day Merida, Mexico City, Chicago.  It will be a very long day for a little black dog.  There have been times I thought about driving a car back to the border and I sincerely am considering that we will need to drive next year.  Yes, All for the damn dog.  


In Soriana, a large Mexican chain grocery store, I often see bread that is sliced horizontally.  Dellene will remember that our mother's used to special order this bread to make a sandwich loaf for wedding and baby showers and similar lady luncheons.  They'd make a combination of chicken salad, egg salad, pimento cheese, cream cheese, olives and walnuts or something similar and remake the loaf then ice the entire loaf with whipped cream cheese and then slice into individual servings.  It was a production to assemble and quite impressive to serve.  And now I see loaves and loaves of this bread ready for purchase.  I can only imagine hoe it is served in local Mexican homes where mayo and hotdogs reign supreme.   




Dellene and Lorayne are in Fort Worth ...yes, without me.  Dellene drove in from Austin and Lorayne came in from Tulsa for a long weekend.  They are seeing the sights.  I know they are having a great time.  



I had a new local experience today in Celestun.  I needed to get some antibiotics so I went to the local farmacia where I'd hoped to by them OTC.  I was told that's not possible and I needed a script so I went down the block to a new local clinic.  No appointment, no waiting.  The receptionist nurse didn't speak English and I wasn't willing to trust my Spanish so I waited for the doctor.  Maybe two minutes later when he came out I told him my story.  He replied "I can help you."  They say the most beautiful words a person can hear is their own name.  Well, today "I can help you" trumped "Paula" by a mile.  With script in hand I went back to the farmacia, got my meds and was on my way.  Cost at the doc, 250 pesos.  Cost at the farmacia, 150 pesos.  A total of about $20, no more than 45 minutes and no one asked for proof of insurance.  No, I wont be filing a claim for this.  



No comments:

Post a Comment