Thursday, September 7, 2017

Sunday, 9 July 2017: Brussels

This weekend Brussels, Wisconsin celebrates "Belgian Days."  This area is the largest Belgian settlement in the US and, I think, outside of Belgium.  It is serendipitous that when we were in Kaiserslautern we were living in the largest American expat community in the world and now, we are in the midst of this large Belgian settlement.  The parade started at 10:30 and we were there for the pageantry as well as the display from the local fire departments, vintage snow mobiles, and tractors.  Fair food was a bit different from what we experienced in Germany.  Today we enjoyed Belgian tripp (pork sausage with cabbage inside) and potato jutt (a sort of potato soup with spinach and nutmeg) but we did not have any Belgian pie.  I had waited to try the local dessert since I knew Belgian Days were coming and I knew that then I could get the real deal.  Unfortunately, when we got around to eating, all the pies were gone!  The rain pushed us on to the local restaurant Belgian Delight but they too were out of pie.  We settled for dinner of bouyah (a sort of chicken stew) and traditional pie at Sweet Seasons in Dyckesville (Justin had cherry and I had rhubarb).  Tomorrow I'll see about a Belgian pie from Marchant's Grocery Store.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment