Monday, March 21, 2022

Tuesday, 8 February 2022: Casa Colibri


We had a Norte come through last night.  I think the temp got all the way down to about 64’.  Justin shut the windows for the first time this winter and also a first, I put on long pants and socks.

Santos and his team didn’t come to work in the rain.  Why was I surprised?

I had a long and certainly long-overdue conversation with Miss Mary today.  She is such a dear.  And even after our chat, we had more to talk about since Mary and I are cooking buddies.  She tells me that an air fryer will be life changing.  As a result, Justin and I have been talking about getting one when we go back to Green Bay.  Mary gave me her recommendations and some resources for more info.  We also broached the idea of cooking pasta like risotto.  And I didn’t even share my cornmeal revelation so I’ll save that for another day.

Spoiler alert:  the cornmeal in Mexico is precooked.  The grain is cooked before it is milled.  The resulting product is much more fine and closer to all purpose flour compared to the cornmeal I’ve grown up with.  I did my research and then made a jalapeño cornbread that turned out quite acceptable.  I also made a pot of chili and of course I served that with chocolate chip cookies.  Uncle Harold would be proud.  


No comments:

Post a Comment