Sunday, April 19, 2020

Wednesday, 25 March 2020: Puebla to New Braunfels


On the road at 4:30am. 55’ in Puebla as we begin Day Three.  

The drive was pretty easy as the roads are good and we've rather got our routine down.  We  stop to stretch and switch drivers pretty often.  And we keep rolling.

We would have arrived at our hotel in Matahuala about 1pm and it seemed silly to stop for the night so we kept driving.  We crossed the border at Puente Columbia just after dark and then headed into to New Braunfels, just north of San Antonio, to meet Craig.  We’d brought a few things for Jeremy and Allison.  Since their plan to purchase the property in Celestún fell through, we brought a few things back for them... party lights, swim fins, mask and snorkel, swim vest for the dog, and a box of receipts.  I’m sure Allison doesn’t really want to know just how much money they lost on the house.   Anyway, her dad met us in the Kohl’s parking lot at 11:30 pm for the handoff.  Yes, we started in Puebla this morning at 4:30 am and we met Craig in New Braunfels at 11:30pm.  It was a long day.  


We were shocked to see the  cavalier attitude toward the Corona virus by the good folks at the border.  They were wearing gloves but no masks.  When we asked then, they said it was a personal choice.  I guess that makes sense...I can’t require that masks be worn unless I provide them.  The kid at the border leaned into the car as he chatted with Justin almost bragging about the ten cases in Laredo.  I wanted to shout, "Dude!  Don't touch my car!  Don't breathe on me!"


Justin and I had decided to do everything we could do to minimize our risk of exposure on our travels.  We had our hand sanitizer, our soap, our alcohol.  We had our protocol for getting in and out of the car after bathroom stops.  We had most of the food we'd need in the car.  We had a strong plan.  Well, enter the emotional aspect of it all.  Somewhere between San Antonio and New Braunfels I had a total meltdown.  As I sat blubbering in the passenger seat, I told Justin he'd just need to give me a moment.  Even though I knew I wouldn't be able to see Dellene and I knew I wouldn't be able to see Uncle Harold and Charlsy... even though I had agreed that it would be best to keep driving... when I saw a  huge Texas flag waving in a spotlight in the dark, I lost it.  This plan meant I would even get to see bluebonnets since we'd be driving through Texas at night.  I fell apart.  Justin said that I hadn't had to hit him over the head all that hard so after we met with Craig we checked into our hotel for the night.  It was just after 1am.  


Day three in the books.  Puebla to New Braunfels— 970 miles. 
Tolls for today was 1339 MXP. 
Celestun to the border —  Totals: 1,547 miles and 2,474 MXP 

No comments:

Post a Comment