Sunday, April 19, 2020

Tuesday, 24 March 2020: Villahermosa to Puebla





Banana bread and frittata delicioso for breakfast... in the car.  I still needed coffee.  When we stopped at a local Oxxo, I saw that they had small, pre-bundled bag of sugar, creamer, sleeve and lid.  Gone were the piles where everyone can touch everything.  I was discouraged to learn that I had to take a new cup and that I couldn’t refill my travel mug but I so understand the practice.  

As we progressed on our journey I found well stocked bathrooms.  Toilet paper, soap and paper towels. This was a never before seen plethora  of supplies in Mexico!  I’ve heard there is a TP shortage in the states.  I know where it is! 

Charlsy can’t visit with Uncle Harold.  She so worried that he will think she has abandoned him.  They’ve put a shelter in place guidance in effect in Galveston County. This is good news that they are finally taking things seriously.  Kim is in California with her parents.  She was afraid if she waited she wouldn’t be able to get to them.  Brian is I still in Florida.  He’ll have to go back to Canada but it is too early now since it is still to cold.  What a mess.

One of the ways we are limiting exposure as we are on the road is by eating in.  We had way too much food left in the frig and freezer (plus everything that Robin and Evan left) so we made decisions and plans for road food.  Last night in V



illahermosa we had cold boiled shrimp and watermelon.  Probably better than anything we could have gotten almost anywhere in town.  I knew we’d have a full kitchen here in Puebla so we brought chili for tonight and I’m cooking a turkey breast for tomorrow.  We can have turkey, cheese, olives etc or we can have turkey sandwiches.  Most days I’m all in for a taco or a bowl of pazole from a street vendor, but not so much today.  

Pulled into Hotel Villas Magnolias about 5pm.  This hotel is a known friend for us.  Andres was here to greet us and to tell Justin a cold beer was ready for him.  Maybe he does remember us?  

Day Two in the books. 410 miles; about eight hours drive time; 890 pesos in tolls

No comments:

Post a Comment