Friday, November 22, 2019

Monday, 21 October 2019: Casa Carmita Merida






We spent the last two nights in Merida at our favorite hotel Casa Carmita. We didn’t see Patricia, the owner,  but we did see Daniella, the housekeeper. She is also the cook; she remembered me and brought me milk for my coffee. 


Admittedly one of our main reasons for spending two nights was so we could go to Boston’s and watch the game. We also ran errands and explored. 


Justin has misplaced his drivers’ license so I’ve been doing most (all) of the driving. I need to call the consulate because we are way too early in our trip for him to go without. When the ATM machine ate his debit card I just had to cuss!  I thought the hurdle was getting cash— little did I realize having the card to even think about being able to get cash would be a deal breaker. As it turned out, this morning when we drove up to the ATM, the security team was there to reload money. After checking Justin’s passport our card was returned and we were in our way.  Success#1


Next stop: HSBC. I’ve been kicked out on online banking for our Mexican bank account for months. I’d tried to call with no luck too many times to mention. Press 2 for English just doesn’t work. Now back in Mexico, we stopped at a local branch where we were first told we needed to go back to the branch where we opened the account. Justin and I both raised our eyebrows at that and we were then told we could call them. I said great and pointed to the phone on the deck and asked that associate to make the call. A good 40 minutes later we had not only online access but also cash. Success #2 and #3.


We were on a roll. On to Allison’s key shop. Last week I had extra keys for the gate made at Home Depot. One for each of us and one to go with the key to each guest room. They didn’t work so I asked Allison for insight. Now, we are the proud owners of 8 new keys to the front gates... and they were a lot cheaper than Home Depot (200 pesos vs 375 pesos). Success #4



I thought our luck might have ended when we couldn’t find the store where we wanted to buy flower pots and a concrete fountain.  We drove all over yesterday looking for it without success.  I had the address as Av. Merida 2000 at Calle 47 (or Calle 67) — two numbers because there were two street signs.  Well, Mérida is divided into sections or “colonies” and each area has its own numbering.  We basically drove down the entire Av. Merida 2000 yesterday; we must have missed it because it was Sunday and closed.  Today, I found it on the internet while Justin was in Sam’s (I’d stayed in the car with Gemma because it is so dang hot).  We drove there and found exactly what we were looking for.  Success #5. Now we just have to decide if we really want to have the fountain.  I really, really want a pool but it is just not prudent.  But a fountain, now that’s a maybe.



And that was the end of successes.  We didn’t find the plant store again.  You’d think we’d learn our lesson to drop a pin or identify significant land marks.  One can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment