Saturday, June 13, 2020

Sunday, 7 June 2020: Brussels





So, the property down the street has a rhubarb patch.  The folks who own the property don't come very often but the rhubarb grows.  We didn't have rhubarb when I was growing up so it is all new to me.  Earlier in the week when we were out for a walk, Justin popped off the seed heads so the fruit would continue to grow.  Today, we brought some home.    OK, we brought home 12 pounds!  

I broke off the leaves as Justin was picking it and we stuffed it all into a large paper bag.  At home, it the bottom of the sink I still had no idea how much we had so I started cleaning and chopping.  The recipe I favor calls for two pounds.  With freezer baggies and scale at the ready, I chopped and sorted and got five bags into the freezer and one into a mixing bowl and soon after, into the oven.  An hour later and the house smelled yummy!  Yes, I did go back to the house where I left a note explaining who I was and what I'd done.  I told the family to let me know when they were here and I'd drop by with a warm, bubbly Rhubarb Crumble made just for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment