Sunday, June 3, 2018

Thursday, 31 May 2018: Bayshore





New word of the week from The New York Times ... “procrastibaking,” or the practice of baking something completely unnecessary, with the intention of avoiding “real” work. I didn't realize there was a word just for that practice.  Goodness knows I have perfected the art!

I've been cooking a good bit and totally loving it!  I'd never perfected omelets so this summer I've learned to bake omelets and roll like a jelly-roll.  The filling options are endless and with parchment paper, my new BFF, cleanup is a breeze.  I also found success with smashed potatoes.  Justin dubbed them as "stinkin' delicious".  

I downloaded an app to save recipes so that is a bit of a game for me too.  I'm sharing successes with Mary who is kind enough to humor me.  She and I have often shared cooking experiences and just thinking about it, perhaps I need to introduce Justin to Cornbread salad.  (I started to make shrimp and grits for dinner the other evening to find that I had two boxes of cornmeal but no grits!  Doubting that they'd even have grits at Marchants, I changed the menu to Shrimp scampi with linguine -- it was scrumptious!)

I raided Kris’ rhubarb and made rhubarb muffins.  I have a few other treats I'd like to make with rhubarb.  Justin planted some last year but we will need to wait another season before we can truly have a crop.

We buy our meat at Marchants and our eggs from Tony and Mo.  The farmer's markets have started so we are almost farm to table without even trying.  When you start with good ingredients and have an appreciative (or forgiving) audience, it makes all the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment