Saturday, February 13, 2021

Friday, 29 January 2021: in the house

USNews ranked Green Bay as safest place to live in US. Madison also made the top ten. Does that mean I want to be here?  No, I still want to be in Mexico.  We read this news right after we read that a big snow storm is headed for the southern part of the state.  We are tucked in safe and warm.

Johnson and Johnson has come out with their version of the vaccine but it has been showing only a 75% efficacy.  Pfizer and Maderna continue to show the most efficacy.  Justin has an appointment for 9 February. I am still nowhere on the list

Biden continues to sign executive orders but most noticeably is the slower pace of news and the sense of almost calm coming out of Washington.

I had a nice long talk with Mary this week.  I so value her friendship and I look forward to a day when we can visit again.  She's up to her gills in a lawsuit back from when she was in Yokosuka (almost twenty years ago).  It was startling how quickly thought so hostile work environment, sexual harassment and unfair labor practice came to mind.  I was relieved to learn that this particular concern has to do with an individual making fraudulent claims for housing allowances rather than being about Mary specifically.  

While we can watch snow mobiles going up and down the river from our kitchen window, I've been busy making babka!  A traditional Eastern European  yeast coffee cake.  Think sweet, buttery yeast bread with swirls of chocolate running throughout, pulling apart into delectable, irresistible layers.  Heaven!  The New York Times recipe had a squillion steps and they gave hints on how to break it up to two days but I did it all in one day.  OMG!!!  There is a cinnamon version I am eager to try next.  



We are continuing our way through Netflix.  Schitt's Creek is on the back burner but we are working our way through 30Rock and we are quite enjoying Last Tango in Halifax and Borgen.  Throw in a movie now and again and we are set.  

Not too long ago we watched a very old Julia Child...French Cook. The part that made this unique was that new chefs were commenting as Julia prepared bread.  They commented as she met with challenges, the dough hook on the kitchen aid mixer was reluctant... she made a mess with her measuring...flour was scattered everywhere...  they explained her procedures.  It was a great blend on old and new and such a touching tribute.

I also tripped across a Sewing with Nancy segment and I was reminded of that old friend.  I got all gung-ho about sewing again, quilting specifically.  I set up the sewing room but I haven’t gotten any farther.  Part of my delay is because there are so many other things I NEED to do and I think that once I start sewing I won’t get back to chores.  So for today I’ll stick with cooking and hangin' out looking at the river.  


Not too many boats will be getting in or out at Chaudoir's dock.  We drove up to Brussels for sunset and took a walk one afternoon.  Yes, we were all bundled up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment